Sunday, March 27, 2011

Getting Started


  • Hi to my friend Candie! I've knitted the stockinette stitch and the garter stitch swatch! Wow, I never knew I had such uneven stitches. I got so confused about casting on that I went down to the local knit shop for reassurance. I pulled both swatches out several times before I finally quit and set them aside. I'm distracted right now because we are moving to a new house, so I'm knitting socks, but even then I notice how sloppy the stitiches are and how uneven the cast on stitches appear. Who knew? I am learning. I have a notebook and I bought five books to use a research, including the very impressive Vogue Knitting Book!! For great photos of how the swatches should appear, go to Forgetmeknotsgarden blog.

  • I did finish the chemo cap, a purchase at Stitches West, with a pattern from Ali McGraw. She was at Stitches but I didn't get her autograph. My friend Janet called and she's a volunteer at the local hospital. She's asking for small afghans/shawls/laprobes to wrap around people who are going home and may have to go on the bus or who need something to wrap around them when they leave the hospital. I'm going to start on those while I'm watching TV. I can use big needles and washable yarn and pray for blessings on those who wear my wraps.

  • I have a Knitting group now which meets every Third Thursday to knit and talk and support each other. I discovered I like small groups, five or six people, instead of a larger group because I want to hear what everyone is saying. I miss out if there are several conversations going on! Happy Day-WhidbeyKnitter

2 comments:

Forgetmeknotgardens said...

Hi Virginia: Thank you for your reference to my blog in your post. I so appreciate it. I have struggled and am still struggling on all the stitches being uniform. It is a tension issue. I have the problem mostly on my stockinette stitch. I find holding the yarn a bit tighter on the purl side to help. I also have heard you can use a smaller needle on the purl row. The thing that helped me the most is practice, practice, practice. Just think how beautiful our projects will be after this experience.

Happy Knitting!

Unknown said...

Mom . . . can you send me the link to the cruising blog? xoxo Libby